Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Just a thought"

This morning as I waited for the elevator outside my door, I thought about a neighbor I had not seen for some time. Luda and her son live in another hall on my floor, but I occasionally see her at the elevator or on the street. I couldn't remember the last time I had seen her, and that was the thought that "floated" across my mind. Her son is in his late 20's and in a wheelchair - hard enough wherever you live, but almost impossible to have a "normal" life in a wheelchair in this culture. So, the thought brought with it a concern for her son's health and I spoke to the Father about them.

A couple of hours later I left my apartment again and who should be standing at the elevator but that same neighbor! Luda asked me about my broken arm (all the folks in my building talk about the American who fell...) which opened up the conversation for me. I asked her how her son was doing. She explained that he's the same as always....he's been in the chair for 8 years. He just sits at his computer and plays games.

I asked her if they had ever made a diagnosis as to why he can't walk, and she told me that no one has been able to find out the real cause, even after a trip to doctors in Germany. Her husband died 8 years ago, and immediately after that her son became an invalid. Doctors speculate that his paralysis is a result of stress affecting his immune system, but they don't know how or why.

I then asked her what her son's name is, and she replied "Pavel" (Paul). As we walked toward the street, I told her I would be praying for Pavel, and for her, as they continue to struggle with his paralysis.

After we parted, I thanked the Lord for bringing them to my mind and heart this morning. He knew I would be "running into her" only a couple of hours later, and he prepared my heart and mind for the opportunity to ask about Pavel and to hopefully encourage her by sharing that I would be praying for them. I have been reminded all day that whenever He brings someone across my mind, I need to lift them before His throne, and trust Him with the details! It's no longer "just a thought", but a prayer!

No comments: